Monday, January 4, 2010

Joyride...

... this was our theme song for the road trip. We listened to it several times, well probably more than several, more like dozens. Anyway, you should totally check it out! It is, of course, by The Killers.
We packed our apartment and left for Maryland on December 17, Thursday night in our little Sebring convertible or "heaven in a rag top"! I sat in the back with Calvin and helped him settle down for the night. We were able to drive pretty far that night, because there was no traffic or anything, we "moved across the night like a separate wind". That's how fast we were!!
When Calvin woke up in the morning it was still a little dark, so we let him watch his portable DVD player and shortly after he got sick (and he hasn't watched it since). He was so sad when he got sick and I could tell that he still felt yucky, so I held him for a little while until the sun came up. This is him still sleeping after getting sick.
We didn't want the sun to get in his eyes!


I didn't think to bring the camera to the pool with us, but here he is getting ready to go swimming, he was very excited!


He was even excited about the pack and play!


Silly boy!! He slept pretty good for being in a strange place. We hung one of his Redskin shirts on the edge of the crib for a little touch of home!


Reading in the car on the second day!

This was a rough day for Calvin. We didn't want to give him any sweets or dairy, so that he didn't get sick again. He was not happy, but he never got sick!

The trees through Iowa and Nebraska looked so sad...
Nick laughed at me, because he thought that I only thought that because they had no leaves, but when we got to the east coast, he realized what I meant.
They just looked sad!
This was Calvin's position for the trip, doesn't he look so comfortable?

There was a little bit of traffic and this is why... isn't that crazy! An 18-wheeler fell off the road!!!! I thought it was pretty crazy!

That night we picked up Emily at the Cleveland airport and Dad and Chris met us at a hotel. Calvin was so excited to see people he knew and had a lot of fun. He slept REALLY good that night all by himself! I wish that I had taken pictures! Calvin had a lot of fun the the indoor pool with Emily! They were so cute!
Not so much of a joyride on the third and last day. Calvin is not happy in this picture, because he got sick again and we were driving on a turnpike and couldn't pull over!!! It was a nightmare! I had to pull him out of his seat, change his clothes, wipe down the seat, dispose of the mess in a bag... and then Calvin was mad when I tried to put him back in his seat!!! Neither of us were very happy!

A few minutes later he calmed down and actually fell asleep until we were 30 minutes away from Crofton!

What a trooper! I thought that this trip was going to be a nightmare!!! But, Calvin was an ANGEL! He never cried, aside from whining for a drink or when he felt. He slept A LOT more than I thought. And the driving/riding (I only drove for 3 hours!) for 36 hours wasn't too bad either!! I don't plan on doing it again any time soon, but I wouldn't change a thing!

"There's something in the distance. A glorious existence, a simple celebration. A place you've never been before."

I think that his line is very fitting for our lives right now. We are starting at the beginning. Nick is starting his career and we are very excited to see where it will take us. And now that we are here for good, we hope that no matter what happens, good or bad, we have our family and it is glorious!

4 comments:

  1. I loved this post. You really are starting fresh and I hope it'll be great for you! I hope we will find ways to see each other while we live so relatively close to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, you're so funny. i love how you incorporated the lyrics! perfect song for your trip! calvin looks so sweet in all the pictures... well maybe not the grumpy one, but thats just funny. poor baby boy w/ the car sickness... at least you had some practice during the last car trip w/ ryley! lol. just kidding, that wasn't fun or helpful! ;0P

    I"m so glad it wasn't a nightmare and calvin was an angel and that you got there safely!!

    love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I listened to the song as I read your blog! proud of me?? It completed the experience for me- i feel like i was there! lol totally. Im glad the trip went well for you guys! Hope your really having a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you documented the trip. This is a big deal.... Calvin was a trooper and you made it!!!!

    ReplyDelete