Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Only for Calvin!

I'm not going to lie... sometimes I really don't like being a mom. It's a 24 hour job, 7 days a week! It requires a lot of hard work, patience, kindness, and a whole lot of selflessness. Thank goodness I had such a mother with just those qualities to give me the perfect example of what a good mother is! But sometimes I just find myself lacking a few of those qualities.

I would rather not walk Calvin to the playground when it is 95 degrees outside.
It's really hard to sit and watch Calvin eat a cup of pudding and spill it everywhere...
It takes A LOT of patience to read and sing to Calvin before bed when he sits next to me fidgeting with his toys.
And it's really hard to be nice when I am woken up too early by crying and whining...
But when I push through the tiredness and push the stroller through the heat, my reward is a very happy motorcyclist!
And when I get over the fact that he might get a little messy and let him feed himself, my reward is a very happy big boy!
And when I put my patience to it's limits every night to get Calvin into bed, my reward is one sweet, sleeping boy!
And when I unwillingly get out my my bed to go get Calvin and get ready for breakfast, my reward is one happy boy!
There are so many things that I would rather do with my day instead of walking in the heat or changing a dirty diaper, but at the end of the day I find that I am happiest when I give up my wants for what Calvin wants. And that is what being a mom is all about.

1 comment:

  1. It is hard work to be a mom. You are doing a great job. It is not glamorous but it is the most important work you will ever do.

    ReplyDelete